Criminal Defense Attorney in Middleburg, FL
Criminal charges are serious. In Middleburg, men and women can be charged with misdemeanors or felonies that carry the possibility of time in jail or prison, probation, or steep fines. In many of these cases, criminal defendants have done nothing wrong, but overzealous prosecutors try to make the newspapers to show they are “tough on crime.”
Let us help. Lockett Law, P.A. has provided an aggressive defense to many people accused of crimes in Middleburg and surrounding areas.
Criminal Cases We Take at Lockett Law
Our practice embraces a wide range of criminal matters, large and small. For example, we have defended clients accused of:
- A motorist can be charged with DUI regardless of their blood alcohol concentration, so long as any drugs or alcohol have impaired their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. DUIs are expensive, time-consuming, and can result in a temporary or permanent loss of license.
- Drug crimes: Our nation is still prosecuting a “War on Drugs,” and many people are caught up in police stings. We can defend against trafficking or possession charges.
- Sex crimes: Accusations of sexual assault or rape can ruin a person’s reputation. Evidence is often contradictory in these cases, but that doesn’t mean that juries won’t convict.
- Violent crimes: We have defended people accused of homicide, attempted murder, assault, and aggravated assault. Some law firms will not touch these cases because of their complexity, but we are eager to defend you.
If the police have come knocking at your door, or if they have arrested a loved one, please contact our law firm as soon as possible.
Why Misdemeanors Deserve an Aggressive Defense
In Florida, crimes are classified as either misdemeanors or felonies. Although misdemeanors are relatively less serious offenses, they still can seriously upend a person’s life:
- Misdemeanors carry the possibility of time in jail
- Misdemeanor offenses result in steep fines
- Misdemeanors become part of a person’s criminal history, so any future offenses might be upgraded to a felony based on a past misdemeanor conviction
- Misdemeanor offenses show up in a person’s background check, which can make it difficult to find a job, rent an apartment, gain admission to college, or get a bank loan
Instead of pleading guilty and hoping for the best, please hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer in Middleburg to represent you. It is often possible to get charges reduced or dismissed, or to win acquittal in the courtroom.
Even First-Time Offenders Need a Lawyer
A person might have no criminal history, but this does not mean that they don’t need an attorney. Prosecutors are often just as harsh on first-time offenders as they are on career criminals. It is a serious mistake to hope the prosecutor has your best interests at heart.
If you have been accused of a crime, or if your child has, please contact an attorney right away. First-time offenders need the same aggressive representation as those with a long rap sheet.
Middleburg Criminal Defendants Have Rights
Once arrested, it can feel as if you have entered the Twilight Zone, where no one tells you what is happening and you have no voice. What you need is an attorney to step up and defend your rights, such as:
You have a right to Miranda warnings. Before engaging in a custodial interrogation, the police must warn you that you have the right to remain silent, that anything you say can be used against you in court, and that you have the right to a lawyer, which will be provided if you can’t afford one. If police don’t give these warnings, your incriminating statements should be suppressed.
You have the right to be treated with respect. Police cannot physically assault or intimidate you while in custody. They also cannot deny you food or water for too long or take advantage of a disability that you have. If they do, we can take action.
You have the right to a reasonable bail bond. Bail is an amount of money paid to secure the defendant’s appearance in court. In other words, if granted bail, a defendant does not have to stay in jail until their trial. We can argue you deserve bail and at a reasonable amount.
Consult a Middleburg Criminal Defense Attorney for a Free Consultation
Lockett Law has built our reputation providing first-rate criminal defense at an affordable price. We will happily meet to go over the charges against you and explain what you can expect going forward. If hired, we will get to work right away building a case on your behalf. Call us today to schedule your free consultation.